Chicken and ugu rice is simple and delicious recipe to add to your baby’s weaning meal. Chicken is rich in protein and ugu leaves, known as pumpkin leaves in English, is a very good source of vitamins and minerals, notably iron which is important for proper growth and brain development. Iron is also needed by the body to maintain a healthy blood, so this meal is one that satisfies baby’s nutrition and is quite filling too. I used leftover cooked rice and chicken to make this meal. It is always easier to get some portion out of the family food (without salt) and then quickly make out a meal for your baby. That way, there won’t be any waste and you are getting baby to start enjoying the taste of family food. this is also a meal that will help baby get used to chewing food and thus a transition from purees and mash. Check other suitable recipes for your baby from here.
Chicken and Ugu Rice Recipe
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- Cooked chicken (shredded well)
- A little grated onion and garlic
- A handful of ugu leaves (or any other green vegetable)
- A tablespoon of oil
- Add oil in a pan, then stir-fry the onion and garlic for some seconds.
- Add the rice and shredded chicken to cook and soften more.
- Mash up well as it simmers, add some more water or milk if needed.
- Stir in the ugu or other green vegetable. Simmer for a few seconds and bring down in order to retain the nutrients